Smoke Smell in Carpet
Cigarette smoke can be one of the worst things for your house. It can soak into the carpets, the ceiling, and even the blinds. The fibers in any cloth material in the house can hold onto the stench for long periods of time. Carpet fibers will hold on to the smoke and cigarette smell for even longer if not treated with proper carpet cleaning.
Even if you aren’t a smoker yourself, moving into a new place that was inhabited by a smoker may leave you with smoke smell and stains. The stench can be absolutely unbearable, especially if it is soaked in to the carpet. Getting this smell out of your home can be an extremely hard process, but it’s not impossible to remove it. There are some effective ways to get the smell out yourself and get your carpet back to being fresh.
DIY Ways To Eliminate Smoke Smell In Carpets:
- Lavender- Using a mixture of dried lavender and baking soda can be an easy and effective deodorizing agent for carpeting. Mix the two ingredients together and sprinkle it over the entirety of the carpet before going to bed and let it sit overnight (or for 8 hours if doing it during the day). Vacuum thoroughly and repeat if necessary.
- Baking Soda- Baking soda is a do-it-all tool that can be used for cooking AND cleaning. If there is carpeting that has been affected by the stinky smell of cigarettes or smoke, baking soda is definitely one of the best tools to use due to it’s uncanny ability to soak up odors. Sprinkle about an inch’s worth of baking soda on the carpet and let sit for about 8 hours and then vacuum. If the carpet still smells, repeat the process. If after a couple of times with no success, it might be time to call a professional.
- Vinegar- Vinegar has a reputation for being an excellent odor eater and can most certainly be used to kill off that smoke scented carpet. Mix some vinegar with some water and spray a light mist over your carpet. Be sure to let it sit and dry thoroughly. You may need to repeat this if the smell is extremely potent, but it should get the job done. You can also leave bowls of vinegar out to remove the scent from the air.
Important Things to Remember While Cleaning
Using the do it yourself cleaning tricks might be able to help you out, but here are some things to remember while you’re doing this cleaning:
- Change your air filters as well! Make sure to clean all the areas where air flows throughout your home.
- Keep your windows open while cleaning, let fresh air come in to your home.
- Clean your ceiling and walls too! They soak in the smell as well.
Scrubby Corp Carpet Cleaning
If you have tried everything and have had no success or are afraid to try these alternative methods, call Scrubby Corp today! Our expert carpet cleaning service can get rid of that smoke smell and get your carpets back to complete freshness. We use environmentally safe products, environmentally friendly cleaning methods, as well as high quality customer service in our carpet cleaning. That’s what sets us apart from the competitors. Call Scrubby Corp today!